Eat Well, Feel Well!
10 Tips for Healthier Eating
By Christine McNamara, RDN
1. Eat breakfast – start the day off right, with a protein, fiber or fat source to stabilize those blood sugars. Try scrambled eggs or tofu, with veggies, overnight oats with nuts, seeds and fruit.
2. Grab those Greens! - Be sure to start in the morning, sneak them in your smoothies or scramble, have a fiber rich salad for lunch and a veggie packed dinner.
3. Pick lean protein sources – add to your meal and snacks, such as fish, poultry, beef, beans, tofu, nuts and seeds which will help you feel satisfied for longer.
4. Beans, beans, beans! I can’t say enough about these economical, protein and fiber-rich powerhouses, add to soups, burgers, meals, salads, even brownies (black bean)!
5. Get a little Nutty and Seedy – they’re packed with nutrition, so try adding to your meals: 1-2 tablespoons to your smoothie, chia pudding for a snack, add nuts or seeds to grain dishes, salads or stir-fry’s.
6. Snack smart - Have healthy snacks on hand to stave off hunger. Include a good balance of protein, fat and complex carbohydrate sources. Try energy bites, veggies and hummus, chips and salsa and/or bean dip.
7. Cook and eat at home – By doing so, you can control the sodium, fat, excess additives and use good quality ingredients to maximize every meal and your budget!
8. Chew, Chew, Chew! – the more your chew, the slower you’ll eat, aim for 20-30 chews per bite. Crunchy salads, roasted chickpeas, nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies will do.
9. Watch your portion sizes – Select baked, steamed or grilled items, for a lean protein, complex carbohydrate, and healthy fat source, to help fill you up for longer and stop when you feel satisfied.
10. Mindfully eat – turn off the electronics or tv while eating, to be able to smell, taste and savor your food. You will notice when you start to feel satisfied and help with portion control.
Have questions for Christine? Contact her here: christinemcnamarardn.com